Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sweet, Sweet Month of May



There are a lot of reasons why I love the month of May. The sun finally makes an appearance again and I spend as much time as I can basking in its warmth, not unlike the kitties shown above. I also love April, not only because it's the month leading up to my (our) birthday, but the month containing what seems like a bizzilion birthdays of people in my life that are super special to me. May Day (no relation to the term pilots use when their plane is nosediving... gonna have to look into how that one came about) fell on a Saturday, and I happened to be on a nice leisurely walk during which I discovered an estate sale just around the corner from our house.

I love estate sales, not only because of all the nifty and (albeit cliche these days) vintagey things I have found in the past, but also because of the fact that I am walking inside this person's house, among this person's beloved treasures that they've held onto for so many years... and carefully selecting things whose true history will remain unknown to me. It's like a little window into the person's life. The serger that I bought last summer, for instance, I found at an estate sale and this woman was extremely crafty; this old (but very sturdy) serger was in a room among three banquet tables that lined the walls, all of which were covered in pieces of fabric selling for $1/yard. I named the serger Doris in her memory, even though I have no idea what the woman's name was; I suppose that's the name that popped into my head as I was wandering around her house looking for the craft room, being very reverent as if she was still there.

I did find a few cones of brightly colored thicker thread that may or may not work out for my knitting machine; it's thinner than I'd like but might be alright if I have a proper spindle to work it from. I also found a very cool piece of upholstery which was mostly orange with chunky gold scroll-ish detailing... much prettier than it sounds in writing! I found a beautiful grape-colored goblet to add to my collection and a beach bag that will be (someday) be perfect for a trip to the coast. I also picked up a couple of old records (Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific and Sounds from the Fabulous Twenties, or something like that) just for good measure.



1 comment:

Justine said...

What a lovely post! I think you've inspired me to get some acupuncture. I've always wanted to try it!